Saturday, January 31, 2009

happy birthday to me

my birthday was a work day. to be quite frank, my birthdays have always been usual days. it is so unremarkable that my i am writing my birthday entry just now! :-)
but don't get me wrong, i always celebrate life. life has always been good to me and i embrace it with so much passion. to say the least, my life has always been full of surprises and unplanned turns.

today is different though, being far is never easy for me. i don't know how long i can hold on to this situation. however, i also know that this could be forever. i am very far away from all of my comfort zones, and from the people i hold dear to me. nevertheless, this is an opportunity i cannot pass and a blessing i have to be thankful for. i will be here for the meantime.

unexpectedly, my friends at the office surprised me with a birthday cake! what made it special was the fact that it was baked by a close friend there! in an environment where i am surrounded by foreigners (we are like the UN, diversity-speaking!), it is hard to get accustomed to people's various personalities and shifting moods. i am just glad that i have someone who respects me and where i came from, and totally understands me when i am not in my best element. i also got another surprise from my Filipino friends...they surprised me with a dinner celebration! whoa! in short, it was awesome...i never expected anything from any of them, but they just took away, even for a brief moment, my loneliness and craving for my family and lifelong friends in the Philippines.

in general, i am (even up to this point) amazed to say that my 30th birthday (there i go with my REAL age!) was a great blast. i got the best cards from my sister and mother, text messages from the Philippines and Canada, and just yesterday, i got a huge card in from my friends at Philippine Airlines! it was great....these things might not have happened if i were still back home....come on, some of my brothers even forgot to greet me! hahahahaha!

thank you all for making my birthday special!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home