Sunday, March 20, 2011

the need for a change...

leaving everything behind and doing something different from what is expected of you is a difficult decision to make. i guess i’ve always been the academic in the family and the one who dreamt the biggest dreams. i guess i have the perfect ingredients to boot - some intelligence, big guts, and a matured (not boasted) ego! growing up, the expectation to deliver has always been constant. this even went overboard after i finished my bachelor’s degree and decided to pursue not just one, but two master’s degrees! in my early 20s, i remember someone telling me that i am destined to do bigger things. i was even advised that the world out there is bigger than what i thought and imagined it to be, and i can conquer that world only if i wanted to. however, i confined myself with the comfort of staying in the philippines – where all my family and friends are, and basically just doing what i know. it was then when an opportunity that is very hard to pass came along. then i left.

i thought leaving the Philippines and going to a foreign country can break my own stereotype and eventually erase it. i told myself that while it will be tough, i will leave the life that i had and pursue something different. but since i still chose to be in the same industry that i was then, and decided to do post-graduate studies again (and hang out with people of the same caliber and frame of mind), i guess i never really escaped the life that i wanted to escape from. i was on a standstill except that i lost my crazy friends which ironically kept my sanity intact.

the plan. in two years, i WILL quit my job. inasmuch as its value cannot be overemphasize as it pays for my rent, my daily sustenance, and send money back to help my family, i really have to quit lest i lose my sanity. i love what i am doing, and i guess in a much bigger spectrum helps the industry safer, however at the end of the day, i am no longer motivated. i am no longer into it – i am more bored than ever! i give my heart out but in the end i get nothing in return. on a personal level, it doesn’t fulfill me anymore. what used to be a source of my pride and joy is now merely just a source of livelihood. and it’s not good!
i need this for myself. i need to do this for myself. while i do not know what the future holds (who does, anyway!), what i am certain is that i need this change. i always tell my friends to do what their hearts desire, to go to a place where they think they ought to be...but where am i right now? i am thousands of miles away from home, but still it’s as if i never left because i am still stuck at the same things which i long have been wanting to escape from.

so where do i go from here? where do i REALLY want to go? what do i REALLY want to do? and who do i REALLY want to be?

in two years, i will have my own business, pursue my dream of that elusive PhD degree (this is one thing i will not want to hide from or change), do some social development research, teach on the side, go back home and put up my own NGO or help an NGO – help people help themselves, and be a better person! sound easy although i find it daunting!

time flies very fast and the next thing you know you are in your 40s or 50s...the worst thing that i will do to myself is to wake up one day and blame myself for not doing what i really want to do. i owe myself this change. its been long-standing and lingering for more than a decade now. It’s either i do it or just totally stop the whole idea, and accept the fact that this is my destiny. it’s either i lose this battle or i win it!

mi ultimo decision? change and win it...big time!

2 Comments:

Blogger JANG said...

hi gabriel.

fyi, i don't have FB anymore. long story short, i'm not ready to see photos (again!) of the guy i used to love who got married three weeks ago with the girl of his dreams. shattering reality bites, man! im not too tough after all!

anyway, i read your recent blog re: time/ need to change and i think you have heavy stuff to do pronto! :-)

you know, i think you're such an achiever, a guy who can possibly do all the things he said on his blog and have some time to have fun as well on the side. i shall pray and wish fervently in my heart that you find that perfect spot in this world only for you, where you do what you want to do every single day of you life, live it to the fullest and share most of it to the rest.

Goodluck, my friend! i will always be behind you 100%!

- Jang

1:47 PM  
Blogger Jorge Geronimo VanSlyke said...

You might want to be a social worker =)

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home